Relationship Essentials: 4 Key Elements to Building the Successful Team
This streamed video will be available to view immediately under the ‘Video on Demand’ tab on this website after purchase. (This product is not a download or physical DVD.)
To view your purchased video, login at the ‘My Account’ tab before clicking on your video in the ‘Video on Demand’ tab on the Dogmantics.com website. Here is a link to the video viewing page: https://dogmantics.com/relationship-essentials/ The video will be accessible for as long as Dogmantics.com exists.
This is a 2 1/2 hour filmed lecture and lab conducted by Emily Larlham at the Pet Professional Guild’s first Educational Summit held in Tampa, Florida in 2015.
One of the first steps to training a dog is building a relationship together. In this lecture and lab Emily covers what she believes to be the 4 essential components to building a successful relationship and training foundation. For Emily, the key elements are: Trust, Connection, Communication, and Choice.
During the working lab, dog and handler teams have a chance to work on exercises for each of the key components, including:
- Teaching the dog to want to choose the handler over everything.
- Proofing attention with distractions.
- Teaching luring as a complex behavior and way to communicate.
- Teaching the dog the toy is most reinforcing when presented to the handler to be played with together.
Running Time: 2 1/2 hours
Cover photo by: Robert LaFollette
Copyright © 2016, Tawzer Dog LLC
- Teaching trust
- Leave your emotional baggage on the shelf
- Set your dog up to succeed
- Desire/Drive to work
- Building reinforcements
- Teach your dog – create a common language
- Listen to your dog
- Learn from your dog
- Let your dog make choices
- Set up games in a way that the dog believes he came up with the idea
- Teach your dog to trust in your choices